Rugby Wales
     
Seven Sisters RFC team badge

 

 

 

 

 

Welsh Rugby Merchandise
RUGBY IN WALES

Seven Sisters RFC

Seven Sisters is a rugby club that sweats history. Founded in 1897, the club is slap bang in the middle of what was once richest source of coal in Britain, if not the world, Seven Sisters Colliery enjoyed it's heyday in the years before and during the Second World War.

Seven Sisters RFC

Gradually, however, during the 1950's geological problems and changing economic conditions took their toll and in 1963 the pit closed. The men who had been employed at the Seven Sisters were transferred to the nearby Blaenent Colliery, but that to closed in 1990.

During The 1950's and 1960's, when touring teams came to play Seven sisters they would often be given a tour of the colliery prior to playing a match. It was reputedly common practice that when they were lowered down the shaft, the winding man would deliberately allow the cage to drop like a stone before applying the brake at the last moment. Few touring teams won their matches.

Seven Sisters Colliery opened in 1872 and the local coal-owner Evan Evans-Bevan named the pit after his seven daughters. In turn the community that grew around the pit was called Seven Sisters village. The club has got stick in the past from other teams about the name of the village. But it could have been worse. Initially, Evans-Bevan had wanted to name the pit after his first daughter, we would have looked pretty silly called Isobella RFC.

Click here to visit Seven Sisters RFC home page

 

   
Site Design by Web Design In Wales © Exposure 2000 Ltd