Rugby Wales
     
Risca team badge

 

 

 

 

 

Welsh Rugby Merchandise
RUGBY IN RISCA

Risca RFC

Risca RFC was founded in 1875 and it has been one of the leading clubs in what was, before the advent of the leagues, known as the "Monmouthshire League".

Many fine payers who have worn the black and amber jersey have gone on to play at the higher level for Newport, Newbridge, Cross Keys and to gain representative Honours with Crawshays and at International Level.

Risca RFC


The long history of the club began in the 19th century when a group of quarrymen at Risca Quarry each put six pence a week from their pay to a kitty until they had enough cash to start a rugby club in Risca. They purchased Jerseys, Knicks and a ball and they got permission to play on the Church House Field, opposite the Church House Hotel (since rebuilt as the Darren Hotel). The landlord agreed that they could change at the back of the pub and wash in tin baths. He also provided the sawdust to mark out the pitch. No formal records were kept of the few games played against some scratch sides assembled for each occasion, so the match results are not available.

 

 


RISC RFC re-emerged in 1906 and settled down permanently at the Stores Field. During the 1920s, many prominent people of Welsh Rugby were to be found amongst the players or committee of RISC Rugby Club, too many to mention individually. However, special mention should be made of their 17 year old trainer at the time, who went on to become world-famous in rugby circles. The young trainer was Ray Lewis, "Mr. Magic hands", who progressed to become trainer of Cross Keys, Newport and Wales. His son, Gerry, took over his duties as Wales' official masseur following his father's death in 1969. Over the years Risca have supplied Newport with many fine players - four of them becoming captains of that famous club. The reverse was rarely the case and most of Risca's captains have been born, bred and learned the basics of the game with RISC. From 1921 to 1958 there was never one season without at least one ex-Risca player in the Newport first team, a period of 37 years!

A memorable day in the history of the club was the 21st October 1961. This date marked the official opening of the new social club, sited at the ground. As well as their welcoming new clubhouse the club also has fine dressing rooms, showers and all the conveniences associated with clubs much richer than Risca. Even these fine facilities have been superseded in recent times by the building of a Sports and Leisure Centre as the result of a Sportlot grant and a vision for ensuring the future of Risca RFC by the then chairman Clive James. The centre, which is sited at the ground, was opened in 1998 and this has provided modern changing rooms and indoor training facilities for the rugby players as well as an opportunity for local clubs and young people to play and train for cricket, badminton, tennis, bowls, netball, basketball and volleyball in the excellent sports hall. At present, "The Cuckoos" are in National League Division Three and enter the millennium as a progressive club with facilities which are the envy of many clubs, both great and small. With a thriving mini and junior section, the future for Risca Rugby Club looks bright and is a tribute to those few quarrymen who founded the club over 125 years ago.

Click here to visit Risca RFC home page

 

   
Site Design by Web Design In Wales © Exposure 2000 Ltd