Rugby Wales
     
Penclawdd RFC team badge

 

 

 

 

 

Welsh Rugby Merchandise
RUGBY IN PENCLAWDD

Penclawdd RFC

Penclawdd Rugby Club officially formed in 1888, but rugby has been played in the village since 1880-81, the same year as the founding of the Welsh Rugby Union. In its formative years the club had no permanent pitch, but played on suitable available ground in various areas of the village. It initially used the Dunraven Field, later Cae Dono (Dono's field) on top of the Graig, and during the years preceeding the First World War, a field at Graig-y-Coed was favoured.

Penclawdd RFC
Joe Austin became one of the first members to play first class rugby, representing Llanelli and Swansea. He was the captain during the 1905-06 season. In the same year Penclawdd were unsuccessful in its application to join the WRU. Despite this rejection players continued to improve their play.
The club was disbanded during the First World War years. The club immediately re-formed after the war and quickly regained its strength. It was so successful it was asked to withdraw from the Swansea and District league as it was gaining a monopoly of cups. In 1922 the club obtained its own pitch for the first time. It leased the Welfare ground known as the Rec., situated at the foot of the Graig, behind the Tabernacle Chapel. A pavilion was built on the land for the use of the Penclawdd Rugby and Cricket Clubs.

 

   
Site Design by Web Design In Wales © Exposure 2000 Ltd